[vorbis] had a thought on peeling last night

Daniel Schregenberger npfdd at gmx.net
Sat Dec 21 17:58:39 PST 2002

Shawn Riley wrote:

> Could that be continued to levels q0 & q-1 to produce a total of 4 streams?
> Is such a level of "granularity" considered acceptable? I thought the
intention
> was to be able to peel the streams to /any/ given q-level, not just specific
> levels. I wonder then, could it start pulling a few bits off the high
frequency
> range, then gradually lower this "cutoff" frequency (one stream at a time)
> while the simulated q-level drops?

Well I also think peeling is supposed to "convert" any quality-level into any
level below that.
The problem here is: we want to stream some music (maybe a radiostation or
something) and we'd like to use as low bandwidth as possible. Now instead of
having two complete streams, one in q1 and one in q2 (where the q1-one may be
peeled from the q2-one), we may reduce the bandwidth by sending a q1 and the
additional data which makes it q2. So people are free to chose which quality
they want and we're not "wasting" our bandwidth.
I dont know how efficient it would be to provide even more streams. But basicly
this should work by taking a q2, peeling it down to a q1, peeling this down to
a q0 and peeling this down to a q-1. We then have a q-1 and the difference from
each level to the next. Listening to the q2 would require to use *all 4*
streams.
This will surely lead to some other problems and it'd maybe be easier to just
use the simple method twice.

-- Daniel