[vorbis] Am I insane?

Martin Fontaine mfont at videotron.ca
Sun Dec 15 10:06:15 PST 2002

> Martin Fontaine wrote:
> > > Anything is an improvement over Xing ... well, except bladeenc maybe.
> >         Yeah, now with CD'n'Go (A prog I got from the Vorbis Download page)
> > I can encode them with Vorbis but I also use the Gogo.dll encoder
> > with it to make comparaisons.  Actually, Gogo MP3s are not as bad as
> > Xing MP3s...  Almost as good as Vorbis.
>
> It depends on the encoder they use, and I don't know which one it is...
> and of the ripping quality of this program, of course. I recommend CDex
> from http://cdexos.sf.net/, unbloated and easy to use, it supports
> encoding to Vorbis on-the-fly, and even if you must use MP3 for some
> reason, it also supports LAME --alt-preset, which is the best MP3
> thingie out there. Just set it to "Paranoia, Full" and you can rest
> assured that the rip itself will be of great/best possible quality.

        The ripping in CDnGo is sometimes not perfect with my drive at work
but at home (Using a burner) it works better.  Using the Syncronised
mode gives better results.  Gogo seems to be a decent encoder, but
Ogg is still better.  I'll have to try that CDex program...  CDnGo
while very good still has some issues so maybe CDex may work better.

> >         Of course, in fact there's still about half his collection still in
> > MP3 because he doesn't have the original CDs.
>
> *Phew* :)
>
> Often enough people just re-encode and believe this would "make it sound
> better" - I have no idea where this relatively common misconception is
> coming from.

        I know!  Although I might do it soon.  Over the years, I've made
several compilation CDs (So far I've got 10, 16 songs each) and I'm
currently reburning them since many early ones were burned in Disk-At-
Once which my discman chokes on.  And also, while 90% of those songs
are from CDs I owned, many of them are MP3s which I later got the CDs
so I'm reburning them with more "Pure" songs.  Then I'll take all
those 160 WAVs and encode them in Ogg (Again, finding the highest q
setting that will fill a 700 Megs disk) so the few (less than 10)
MP3s that I don't have the CDs for, will be reencoded in Ogg.  I'll
see how they sound, if the results are really that terrible, I might
just leave these in MP3 and put the rest in Ogg.

        Of those MP3s, many of them are 320kbps, so reencoding 320kbps MP3s
to 128kbps (q4) Ogg might give acceptable results, but the
128/160kbps MP3s may well stay in MP3 format.

|      Martin Fontaine     mfont at videotron.ca      |
| The Braids Bonanza: http://braids.cjb.net        |
| Mel D.'s Good Gifts: http://come.to/meldoane     |