[vorbis] Am I insane?

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Dec 15 10:52:11 PST 2002

Martin Fontaine wrote:
> MP3s that I don't have the CDs for, will be reencoded in Ogg.  I'll
> see how they sound, if the results are really that terrible, I might
> just leave these in MP3 and put the rest in Ogg.
>
>         Of those MP3s, many of them are 320kbps, so reencoding 320kbps MP3s
> to 128kbps (q4) Ogg might give acceptable results, but the
> 128/160kbps MP3s may well stay in MP3 format.

Point is, they won't ever sound better. MP3 makes the sound different,
and Vorbis will encode those differences and add its own. If you're
lucky, you'll notice no significant degration from the MP3, but it will
not be anywhere near "great", "good" or so. Note that Xing sounds even
bad at 320kbps, and no matter what -q you encode those tunes with,
they'll always be just Xing quality. (I can actually notice this on some
tunes that are otherwise transparent to me at lame --alt-preset standard
(~200 kbps) or Vorbis @ -q 5 (~160 kbps))

Going through the pain of re-ripping the CDs to Vorbis is definitely the
recommended way (or encoding your lossless copies), as well as leaving
those MP3s the way they are.