[vorbis] further development

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Sat Aug 24 08:31:31 PDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 09:51, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
> At 11:28 2002-08-24 +0200, you wrote:
> >Speed is not everything, I would say that
> >low delay and lossless mode are more
> >interesting than low CPU use.
>
> I do dissagree with you abit here. Yes, low delay and lossless is important
> (even though IMHO I think FLAC should be merged for that part :) ).
> But I do belive that low CPU use is quite important in game enviroments and
> handhelds. I all depends from what point of view you are looking
> at it.

I think this thread is highlighting is why having an open codec is
important.  There are lots of features important to different users.
Trying to implement all of them would be very difficult and perhaps even
contradictory.  However, groups who want these features are welcome to
fork the code and add them themselves.  (Forking is not always bad.)
Generally useful features can possibly be rolled into future releases.

Now is a great time for third-party people to jump on the code and
tailor it for various uses.  (Or if you would like, I'm sure the people
at Xiph.org would be happy to do contract work customizing Vorbis for
your particular requirements.)

---
Stan Seibert