[vorbis] further development

Robert Michel Robert.Michel at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Aug 24 09:32:30 PDT 2002

Salve Stan, Andreas, fungus, Christain, Grigori,

A German writer once said: "Theres no good, until you do it."
(Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es, Erich Kaestner)

>I think this thread is highlighting is why having an open codec is
>important. There are lots of features important to different users.
>Trying to implement all of them would be very difficult and perhaps even
>contradictory. However, groups who want these features are welcome to
>fork the code and add them themselves. (Forking is not always bad.)
>Generally useful features can possibly be rolled into future releases.
>
>Now is a great time for third-party people to jump on the code and
>tailor it for various uses. (Or if you would like, I'm sure the people
>at Xiph.org would be happy to do contract work customizing Vorbis for
>your particular requirements.)

My "request" for low delay is based that I started to support the GNU
project for free radio software
http://ross.sf.net
and for this project "low delay" is not for the beginning not essential.
But I know that today for syncron comunications the delay time is a
KO criteria. When internet-telephonie becomes populaire with ACC LD,
then will it be hard to win back parts of that market with vorbis ogg.

Would it be possible to reinclude a forked encoder into a common
encoder?

Can users on this list support or influence developer in choosing
the next features?
If yes, then it will be a long list of possible features and arguments
about them to rank it most powerfull to make vorbis ogg populaire.
I do agree, that speed is important, but I want to stress, that this
is not the only criteria. If Vorbis Ogg hasn't reached a better
quality than MP3, it wouldn't get as much attentions as now.

So before we dispute on the first 2 features, what more features
could be of interest, and why?

Rob