[vorbis] OggShell v1.0 released

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Aug 21 03:29:45 PDT 2002

On 2002-08-20, Peter Harris wrote:

> Note that my tuits were looking kind of oval last Friday, which is close
> enough. See the vorbis-dev archives for the patch.

Yes, I saw it later.  I'm not good at win unicode programming and didn't
read it carefully enough but I got the impression that you use the
"--utf8" / isutf8 option to trigger conversion of the wide char ucs-16
command line.  If that's true, it's highly confusing and you should change
the option name.  "--utf8" should do what I describe below - get raw utf8
strings and best-effort conversions of command line probably belong to the
default behaviour without "--utf8"...

> Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> >
> > I'd rather have it accept UTF-8 (processing it himself and not messing
> > with win's support) so I could run oggenc from batch files with utf-8
> > produced by <any magic way I want, same that I'd use on linux> and encode
> > files with all possible tags even on win9x (not that use it, except for
> > gaming ;-).  Windows' ways of handling unicode are hardly dependable
> > anyway.  It might also be easier to write programs interfacing to this
> > utf-8 since most programs that deal with vorbis tagging have utf-8 support
> > already (unless they are broken :).
>
> A good idea, but I can't think of a reliable way to get UTF-8 in via the
> command prompt.

If you mean you can't type it from the keyboard, that is a true problem
(until somebody writes a more flexible replacement for the conagent (?)
"terminal emulator"; maybe rxvt from cygwin can help?) but I wanted to be
able to run it from batch files / wrapper programs, not from keyboard.
>From keyboard you can use the current codepage...  Also iconv could help
with the keyboard thing.

> If I use the default argv, the characters will already be
> mangled 'best fit' into the ANSI code page. If I use the UCS-16 command
> line, I imagine the UTF-8 will survive, but we have the same problem as
> above: no argv parsing.

I meant the straight forward way, like in unix, when the OS doesn't poke
your command line characters.  Ask the OS for the simple ANSI command line
and interpret it as UTF-8.  That still works, doesn't it?  I hope when I
write a batch file, or call with plain old system() (from a djgpp or
cygwin app), the line gets to the program unchanged...

> The only missing piece is a Win9x replacement for CommandLineToArgvW(). Feel
> free to volunteer to write this piece. It shouldn't be too difficult; I just
> happen to have zero interest in multilanguage 9x.

Problem is, I happen to have about epsilon of it either ;-).  Maybe if one
day, I'll boot again to win98 and encode oggs in it, but that's
unprobable...  But possibly I could use such utf-8 mode in win2k too,
rather than deal with its ucs-16 mess...