[vorbis] OggShell v1.0 released

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Wed Aug 21 11:13:18 PDT 2002

> > Note that my tuits were looking kind of oval last Friday, which is close
> > enough. See the vorbis-dev archives for the patch.
>
> Yes, I saw it later.  I'm not good at win unicode programming and didn't
> read it carefully enough but I got the impression that you use the
> "--utf8" / isutf8 option to trigger conversion of the wide char ucs-16
> command line.  If that's true, it's highly confusing and you should change
> the option name.  "--utf8" should do what I describe below - get raw utf8
> strings and best-effort conversions of command line probably belong to the
> default behaviour without "--utf8"...

If you look at that a little more closely, you'll see that that is what it
is supposed to do on non-Windows systems (thouroughly untested). That option
is #ifndefed out for WIN32.

<re: UTF8 on the command line>
> > A good idea, but I can't think of a reliable way to get UTF-8 in via the
> > command prompt.
>
> If you mean you can't type it from the keyboard, that is a true problem
> (until somebody writes a more flexible replacement for the conagent (?)
> "terminal emulator"; maybe rxvt from cygwin can help?) but I wanted to be
> able to run it from batch files / wrapper programs, not from keyboard.
> From keyboard you can use the current codepage...  Also iconv could help
> with the keyboard thing.

I had assumed that the same problem exists with batch files and wrapper
programs:  The 8-bit command line gets mangled into CP_ACP before hitting
argv.

Actual testing proves me wrong (at least for wrapper programs; I didn't test
batch files). I'll rework the patch to allow the --utf8 switch (and command
lines in UTF8) on windows. See vorbis-dev.

Peter Harris