[vorbis] OggShell v1.0 released

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Tue Aug 20 09:42:07 PDT 2002

> > When I get a round tuit, I'll probably create a patch to oggenc that
takes
> > UCS-16 on NT/2k/XP, but still uses the ANSI code page command line on
9x/Me.

Note that my tuits were looking kind of oval last Friday, which is close
enough. See the vorbis-dev archives for the patch.

> > It is quite possible to accept UCS-16 on 9x, but (a) I don't feel like
> > putting out the effort required, and (b) it's probably pointless, as
9x/Me
> > doesn't use UCS-16 natively, so you probably wouldn't get the results
you
> > wanted anyway.
>
> I'd rather have it accept UTF-8 (processing it himself and not messing
> with win's support) so I could run oggenc from batch files with utf-8
> produced by <any magic way I want, same that I'd use on linux> and encode
> files with all possible tags even on win9x (not that use it, except for
> gaming ;-).  Windows' ways of handling unicode are hardly dependable
> anyway.  It might also be easier to write programs interfacing to this
> utf-8 since most programs that deal with vorbis tagging have utf-8 support
> already (unless they are broken :).

A good idea, but I can't think of a reliable way to get UTF-8 in via the
command prompt. If I use the default argv, the characters will already be
mangled 'best fit' into the ANSI code page. If I use the UCS-16 command
line, I imagine the UTF-8 will survive, but we have the same problem as
above: no argv parsing.

The only missing piece is a Win9x replacement for CommandLineToArgvW(). Feel
free to volunteer to write this piece. It shouldn't be too difficult; I just
happen to have zero interest in multilanguage 9x.

Peter Harris