[vorbis] What to do with unicode?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Apr 7 00:49:03 PST 2002

Akos Maroy wrote:
> David K. Gasaway wrote:
> > I don't understand the motivation to convert MP3s to OGGs.  I'll
> At our radio station, we have been putting up music for download in Ogg
> Vorbis for quite some time now. And every once in a while people ask us:
> how do I convert this into mp3? Their reasons being mostly that they
> want to play them on their portable mp3 players or DVD players
> supporting mp3, etc.

Doing it this way makes sense (at the moment, and surely isn't nice),
but not the other way round. There is NO reason to reencode from MP3 to
Ogg (except for Ogg-streaming MP3 music, maybe, but definitely not when
dealing with files on a harddisk). Hearing the MP3 artifacts and
deadness in Ogg would be a horrible experience for me, so even the
ideological argument "Ogg 4ever" or something like that doesn't count.
:)