[vorbis] What to do with unicode?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Apr 7 00:43:55 PST 2002

HJ wrote:
> Re: below, you know it's inevitable, so... the question is, in my
> opinion, -can there be made a way to do direct frame-conversations-?
>
> I probably don't know WTF I'm talking about, but instead of, say,
> re-compressing, what of a utility that does a 'direct-convert' from
> MP3 to Vorbis? It would seem to me to be hairy, if simple in
> concept.

We had that topic already, and the conclusion was that it's impossible.
One cannot convert MP3 to Ogg without reencoding. Therefore losing
another bunch of audio information and wasting bits on reproducing MP3
artifacts is inevitable.

Just leave your MP3s alone and encode your new stuff to Ogg from the
source, e.g. CDs.

----

To Arioch /BDV//: RC2 is outdated, get RC3 as soon as possible. It
sounds a lot better and you get rid of the stupid
set-quality-by-choosing-bitrate behavior.