[vorbis] Winamp support at last!

Erik Fuller Phaedras at gmx.net
Sun Apr 28 06:33:14 PDT 2002

> I think factors like a present lack of hardware players, and the fact that
> it's not finished yet might be more important to mainstream uptake than
> the presence of a few easy to hack together apps.
>
> John

I'll have to disagree with you on that. Do you remember when Napster got
popular? (what REALLY got this idea of downloadable music thing going) Back
then, there were hardly any MP3 players on the market, but CD burners were
booming. Actually, there are still more Discmans in circulation than portable MP3
players right now.

Being able to download Ogg Vorbis compressed music, play it and burn it
without a hitch is VERY important for mainstream acceptance (and we want that,
right?). I think after Ogg support in Winamp the next logical step would be to
pressure Ahead Software to include support in Nero Burning Rom.

Once I can give music to my friends, they can play it just by
double-clicking on it and burn it just by dragging and dropping, I'll be happy :)

http://www.gmx.net