[vorbis] Winamp support at last!

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sat Apr 27 23:38:04 PDT 2002

On Saturday 27 April 2002 08:48, Patrick Masters wrote:
> Vorbis will have a hard time gainign mainstream support until there is a
> simple one click way to burn audio cds from it. That is what helped mp3
> boom the way it did. Many would download from napster and make their own
> cds. With Vorbis, you have to decode to wav and then burn and most dont
> care enough to take the extra step.

Huh? I've never thought of doing that (and now I have - eeewww!), don't know
anyone who's done that, and indeed, I've never actually heard of anyone doing
that.

I think factors like a present lack of hardware players, and the fact that
it's not finished yet might be more important to mainstream uptake than the
presence of a few easy to hack together apps.

John