[vorbis] Winamp support at last!

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sat Apr 27 17:49:43 PDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:22:31AM +0200, Joel wrote:
> I did too... And it worked fine.
>
> However, wanting to get rid of possible 'old' files, I later uninstalled WinAmp to do a full install from scratch.
>
> Now I notice:
>
> 1) my .oggs won't play.
> 2) in_vorbis.dll     <---  is actually unpacked in the plugins directory, but...
> 3) ...it won't show up in "Preferences/plug-ins/Input"
>
> My conclusion is that winamp 2.80 ships with broken ogg-vorbis support. :-/
>
> Can anyone confirm this, or dismiss it as just another weird effect on my Windows 98&95 box?

Can't confirm the 95/98 part of it, but I just did a fresh install of
WinXP because my old one got to acting strange (you really can't run
Windows reliably for more than about half a year), and I had to
replace my Winamp. I got the Standard download and installed on a
pretty much fresh system, and all my oggs play fine, even with some
special titles.

While on the subject, here's the display format I hacked together
earlier today:

[%artist%-][%album%-][$num(%tracknumber%,2)-]$if(%title%,%title%,%filename%)

It happens to work pretty well for my playlist, and I'm even happy
enough with it to sort my playlist by title instead of path/filename
... but if anyone has a better display format that they use, I suppose
a little list traffic on that topic can't hurt.

Now if only we could duplicate this functionality in xmms ...

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."