[vorbis] Tag Recommendations: Addressed Concerns That Were Raised

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Apr 26 04:37:47 PDT 2002

"David K. Gasaway" wrote:
> Man, I wish I had tools such as this.  If there was some perfect,
> global database that every player uses, that would be just *awesome*.
> As it stands, every player driven by a database that I've used just
> plain *sucks* (apologies to developers of any such players :).  I also
> don't tie myself to any one player.  So, I would need to maintain any
> number of databases.  Talk about a PITA and a complete waste of time!

Yeah, you go ahead :) Maintain that thing, because you shouldn't allow
any user to submit own database entries without moderating and fixing
them. Good luck. Otherwise, your precious database will be filled with
junk within minutes.

This all is idealistic dreaming. Yes, in an ideal world, there wouldn't
be stupid people, and everything would be black and white.

If you can explain me your proposal in three to four sentences, what
sense it makes and what its rules are (so that I can read and understand
it in less than a minute), then it makes sense. If not, forget it ...
nobody will use it. You guys seem to forget that ~90% of all computer
users are clueless Windows users that got used to click on OK/Yes
whenever a (security) warning pops up and just don't read it anymore.
Yes, please make me a bullet list with 3 - 5 points.

People do not read. It's a fact. It has to be easy and colorful. And
standardizing anything more than those very few things for the sake of
backwards compatibility is simply pointless. You can already use your
proposal to the full extend. Why don't you do so? Why do you want to
force people to use it, too?

Share it with others, especially classical music lovers, and they'll
really appreciate it. With Ogg, they can do what they want, and you show
them a nice and elegant way to do it.

But PLEASE stop trying to hammer that thing into any Ogg specs, you and
the rest of us have better things to do.