[vorbis] Tag changes

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Apr 5 15:38:28 PST 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 03:22:40PM -0800, David Gasaway wrote:
>They probably wouldn't be easy to sort either way.  I'm likely to use
>roman numerals in such.

Right.

>Probably wouldn't add complexity.  It would remove the complexity of
>determining whether there is a partnumber within PART.

So in the end, the complexity would be the same with or without a
partnumber tag.

>It seems stupid to me to add numeric prefixes to every part tag.  It's
>not really a part of the description of the work.  If I want to see the

I have to disagree there.  In many a concerto by Vivaldi, he will have
two movements with the same title.  So, to know which part I am
listening to, it is important to know if PART="1. Andante" or if
PART="3. Andante".  So for my collection of music, having the partnumber
in the part itself works well.

>description of the work, I could look to PARTNAME.  If, at some
>particular moment, I'm more interested in the sequence of the parts,
>then I could look to PARTNUMBER.  It's not a compelling argument, I agree.

Could you provide some details of why having the part number in the part
name is "stupid"?

Cheers!

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2