[vorbis] Tag changes

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Fri Apr 5 15:22:40 PST 2002

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> I have a question.  What software mechanism do you have in mind to take
> PARTNUMBERS and sort them for you?  Could the same mechanism not be used
> for cases where you put the part number into the PARTNAME tag?

They probably wouldn't be easy to sort either way.  I'm likely to use
roman numerals in such.

> I always
> had the impression that the mandate of these tags was to be human
> readable, and not meant for machines to use.

Not explicitly for machine use, anyway.

> In the case of a single track that contains several parts, wouldn't a
> PARTNUMBER tag add complexity to supporting software?

Probably wouldn't add complexity.  It would remove the complexity of
determining whether there is a partnumber within PART.

> I personally don't see a need to separate the partnumber tag from the
> partname tag, but if more people speak up in support of it, saying why
> it is better to have it than to not have it, I'm ok with it.  I think
> the nature of "partnumber tag is better" should address the issue of
> what software will be doing the sorting in what context, and how this
> is easier for the software than sorting the partname tag instead.

It seems stupid to me to add numeric prefixes to every part tag.  It's
not really a part of the description of the work.  If I want to see the
description of the work, I could look to PARTNAME.  If, at some
particular moment, I'm more interested in the sequence of the parts,
then I could look to PARTNUMBER.  It's not a compelling argument, I agree.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org