[vorbis] low sampling rate

SyP syp at dev-labs.com
Tue Sep 25 15:07:40 PDT 2001

Hello Geoff,

You wrote at 9/24/2001, 7:20 AM:

>> I encoded today a mono/16KHz/16bit WAV (a TV-talkshow), using
>> OggDrop. The quality of the '64kbps' mode was unacceptable, so I
>> had to use '80kbps' mode. The bitrate averages around 42 kbps,
>> which I found a bit high for this quality. In your opinion, what
>> bitrate should I expect as Vorbis matures? 24 kbps?

Geoff> hmmm. Did it actually encode in mono? In my very informal
Geoff> testing, I got about 20kbps using 64kbps mode, so you should be
Geoff> able to get 24kbps or thereabouts for 80kbps mode. The 42kbps
Geoff> sounds about right for 16khz stereo, I got 36kbps for lowest
Geoff> possible bitrate.

If anybody is interested, my FLAC-encoded source-file is up at
http://www.detim.hu/~syp/Vorbis/ . The 42 kbps OGG too.

--
  SyP              (_Szabolcs Péter  PGP Key ID: