[vorbis] Encoder signature question

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Sep 3 01:22:17 PDT 2001

At 12:33 AM 9/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Moritz Grimm wrote:
>
>> 1, 3, 5, ... channels are stored without coupling, 2, 4, 6, ... channels
>> with coupling, according to what I remember what Monty said. The
>> psychoacoustics are only optimized for 2 channel coupling at this point,
>> but theoretically we'll have some good working coupling with n channels
>> some day. "Worst" case would be to use only lossless coupling for 4 or
>> more channels.
>
>Neat. Any special plans for 5.1 audio?

Actually, right now, the coupling mechanism is used only for 2-channel audio.
For 1, or 3+ channels, each channel is seperate. However, the basic coupling
mechanism (in the file format) is much more flexible than that - eventually,
libvorbis will be able to use coupling in much more complex situations -
including doing things appropriately for 5.1 audio, for example.

Michael