[vorbis] Encoder signature question

Beni Cherniavsky cben at crosswinds.net
Wed Sep 5 04:18:26 PDT 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, mike wakerly wrote:

> On Sunday, September 2, 2001, at 09:15 PM, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, mike wakerly wrote:
> >> 	- app that encoded it (probably oggenc for now, but what if XYZ
> >> inc's encoder is notoriously lousy?)
> >> 	- library release version (Right now, I can't quite tell which file
> >> was made with Beta 4, etc..)
> >
> > These are both found in vorbis_comment.vendor.
>
> Ah, excellent! So, this might turn into an ogginfo question: Will this
> field be shown in ogginfo if it is present? Because the files I have
> encoded don't show it there -- is it just that oggenc is tagging it in a
> maner that ogginfo doesn't recognize, or is this field just hidden from
> userland?

The file(1) utility can show both (if you uncomment the corresponding
lines in the magic database).  It's already there in the last 3.37
version, maybe earlier ones too.  Get the source from
   ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file
(you will find the vorbis magic in the `magdir/vorbis' file).

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)