[vorbis] Vorbis for PlayStation

Szick, Frank FSzick at Interplay.com
Fri Sep 28 15:03:14 PDT 2001

you can write your own software mixer that can decode MP3 on the PS2 so I
can't see why you can't do that with ogg, however, even mp3 is processor
intensive and programers are not going to give up that much processor power
which will decrease or detract from the rest of the game.  However, I'm sure
there are some people out there that have been able to work around this.
Regardless, ps1 and ps2 are a pain in the ass to get soudning good, but
definetly possible.

Anyone on this list programming sound on the PS2, or any other game console
for that matter?

-Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Maik Merten [mailto:maikmerten at gmx.net]
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 3:03 PM
To: vorbis at xiph.org
Subject: [vorbis] Vorbis for PlayStation

Hello.

Some friends of mine were playing with a PlayStation one day.
And after playing some Games they pushed a normal Audio CD into that
thing - and the music began to play. A crazy idea came into
my mind.

Just imagine: There are millions of PlayStations spread worldwide.
If it was possible to port Ogg to PS this could help to bring
Vorbis where we want it to be: Millions of families were
able to play Ogg-CDs in their living-rooms.

Does a PlayStation have enough computing power to decode Ogg Vorbis?
Is it possible to port a decoder to that platform? What
about license fees?

I know that porting the codec to PlayStation is not sufficient.
We also need a Player-Application that has to be on every
CD as we can´t upgrade the PS-firmware. So it is necessary
to write a tool that creates Ogg-PS-CDs, too.

Ideas?

bye,

Maik Merten

--