[vorbis] Vorbis for PlayStation

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Fri Sep 28 16:33:44 PDT 2001

"Szick, Frank" wrote:

> you can write your own software mixer that can decode MP3 on the PS2 so I
> can't see why you can't do that with ogg, however, even mp3 is processor
> intensive and programers are not going to give up that much processor power

Ogg Vorbis decoding is _almost_ as fast as mp3 decoding, already.  And
it will
be faster, soon.  Working on it...
(datapoint:  mpg123: 38x realtime.  vorbis: 30x realtime).

> which will decrease or detract from the rest of the game.  However, I'm sure

His idea was not playing Vorbis in a game; rather, he wants to use his
PSX as a kind of mp3man.  Should be very easy to program, if you know how
to program a playstation, that is.

Cheers,

Segher