[vorbis] Re: ogg123

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Oct 8 15:35:30 PDT 2001

> I don't have installed ALSA.

Neither do I and it compiles fine.

> This is no reason not to compile a codec.

libao is not a codec.  It's an audio output library.  It's reasonable
that it should try and detect alsa.

> A codec should be able to compile with a C compiler without Megabytes of
> configure stuff. Otherwise there's something wrong with it.

There's nothing wrong with the codec.  Or the build system.

> > It's possible that the test compile is not actually using
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH (i.e. something is setting it to a different value
> > instead of appending to it) but that is unlikely at this point. Have
> > your tried adding /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and/or checking
> > config.log to ensure that it's not some other problem that the
> > configure script happens to hit when trying to run the test program?
> >
> All tested. No usable results.
> At least the error message is nonsense.

Bullshit.  The error message clearly states there was a linking problem
and several ways to solve you.  You probably didn't run ldconfig, which
it clearly suggests you should do.

> There at least 3 fully different systems where Ogg Vorbis can't be
> installed. Common is, that the base installation is something around 24
> months old and no "Yet Another Linux Sound System" is installed.

What?  We support oss out of the box without problems.  If a system
isn't capable of OSS, then we're not going to bother.  If it has
anything else on top of OSS is pretty well supported, including arts,
alsa, esd, etc.  Hell, it even supports people without sound capability.
I don't see the basis of your complaint.

> No Debian please.

Maybe you don't like debian, but others do.  We provide packages for it,
as a substantial amount of users use it.  We also have RPMS.  Vorbis
comes out of the box with redhat, ximian, mandrake, debian, etc.  It's
also in most of the importants BSDs' packages.

> Software should be installed within 10 minutes.

I never takes me more than a few minutes to install any of our packages.
And i routinely compile and install them on a number of diverse systems
and architectures.

It doesn't even take 10 minutes to build on Win32.

jack.