[vorbis] Re: ogg123

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Mon Oct 8 15:51:37 PDT 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Frank Klemm wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 05:11:43PM -0400, Kenneth Arnold wrote:
> > Only libao. If you do not have the ALSA headers (which are all that
> > are needed anyway; you don't actually have to have ALSA installed),
> > the configure script should disable compiling the ALSA plugin.
> >
> I don't have installed ALSA.
> This is no reason not to compile a codec.
> A codec should be able to compile with a C compiler without Megabytes of
> configure stuff. Otherwise there's something wrong with it.

[Hi, I'm one of the libao maintainers.]

You seem to be confused about the roles of the different CVS modules.  libao
is NOT part of the vorbis codec.  However libao is used by ogg123 (a part of
vorbis-tools) for audio output.  If this bothers you, place the blame on the
player and not the codec, because the codec has nothing to do with it.

That said, the configure scripts are supposed to detect whether or not you
have ALSA installed (either 0.5 or 0.9) and not build those modules.  As far
as I know, those test still work.  Could you please email me the config.log
generated when you run ./autogen.sh using the most recent ao CVS
code?  (Please send it to volsung at asu.edu and not the list.)  That will help
me figure out what the problem is.

---
Stan Seibert