[vorbis] Apple iPod

Wilson defiler at null.net
Tue Oct 23 13:21:44 PDT 2001

I find the pricing of this thing amazing.
The only thing I can think of small enough to cram 5GB into that thing is
the IBM Microdrive.
IBM has stated that they could instantly come out with Microdrives with much
greater than 1GB capacity, if some OEM found a market.
That being said, the largest "retail" Microdrive is currently 1GB. It goes
for $320 on Pricewatch. This iPod has five times that capacity, and sells
for only $79 more. Either the markup on the standard Microdrive is insane,
or Apple is planning some impressive economies of scale.
Looks like quite a product. I'm sure someone will get Linux support for it
working, one of these days.
Given that you can write plain files to the disk, it's too bad that they
require a firmware update to add audio format support.
It would have been cooler to slap a hidden "Plugins" directory on the drive,
and then open up the plugin specs to developers.

They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression.
This was a lie and we could not let them publish it.
-- Nelba Blandon, Nicaraguan Interior Ministry Director of Censorship