[vorbis] Re: ogg123

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sun Oct 7 14:11:43 PDT 2001

I'm forwarding this on to the Vorbis users list because though it was
initially addressed to me it's not really a problem I can deal with
(though I give a few suggestions and discussion below anyway, of
questionable accuracy).

This was initially from a query to me about ogg123 WAV to stdout, but
upon reply I got this in addition to discussion about WAV outuput, so
I've cut this out and will reply to his ogg123 concerns individually
unless anyone has further discussion (I think we've discussed the
issue on the list quite enough already).

This is from Frank Klemm <pfk at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de>. I'd suggest
replies be CC-ed to him because judging from his response he is
probably not on the list.

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:37:17AM +0200, Frank Klemm wrote:
> I can't install newer versions of Ogg.
>
> It's the only program which makes permanently problems. First I uninstalled
> all Ogg Vorbis stuff. Then I install it from the CVS and it never works.
> This also happens on several fresh installed distributions.

CVS HEAD libvorbis is in active work (normally it shouldn't be, but
AFAIK Monty oopsed and committed his in-progress work to the HEAD
instead of a branch). Try the RC2 tarballs from vorbis.com before
experimenting further on CVS. But I continue my reply because I don't
think the build system is appreciably changed since RC2.

> I was able only to install Ogg Vorbis on one system, after some patches, because the CVS
> sources need ALSA, which I do not have.

Only libao. If you do not have the ALSA headers (which are all that
are needed anyway; you don't actually have to have ALSA installed),
the configure script should disable compiling the ALSA plugin. If it's
not, then there is some problem in the build system at present. If the
rc2 tarballs (from vorbis.com) don't work either, I'd start
considering oddities on your own system.

> There seems to be something very dirty inside Ogg Vorbis.
> Try to install Ogg Vorbis on a 100% Ogg Vorbis free system.
>
> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
> checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
[...]
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build static libraries... yes

[...]
> checking for Ogg... no
> *** Could not run Ogg test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> *** that the run-time linker is not finding Ogg or finding the wrong
> *** version of Ogg. If it is not finding Ogg, you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
> *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
> *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
> *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> configure: error: must have Ogg installed!
> f:/home/cvs/vorbis # find /usr/ -name '*ogg*so*'
> /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0
> /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0.2.0
> /usr/local/lib/libogg.so
> f:/home/cvs/vorbis # echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/lib
> f:/home/cvs/vorbis #

It's possible that the test compile is not actually using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (i.e. something is setting it to a different value
instead of appending to it) but that is unlikely at this point. Have
your tried adding /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and/or checking
config.log to ensure that it's not some other problem that the
configure script happens to hit when trying to run the test program?

> Before this the following was executed:
>
>    cd ao; ./autogen.sh; make; make install; ldconfig
>    cd ../ogg; ./autogen.sh; make; make install; ldconfig
>    cd ../vorbis
>
> I'm not the only one who has problems installing Ogg Vorbis,
> most people try this once and then forget Ogg Vorbis forever.
>
> It should be possible to install Ogg Vorbis from CVS with one command, not
> with so much command in a proper order. And it should work.

The xiph.org CVS method is by far the standard method for installing
other programs from CVS. See probably 95% of SourceForge projects for
backing on that. The script ./autogen.sh is specifically designed to
prepare the tree for a build, and then the standard make and make
install steps as for most any Linux software. The things that make Ogg
Vorbis any more complicated is that there are a few more modules that
have interdependancies (perhaps someone should add a small README /
INSTALL file to CVS root if this is possible just giving the order of
modules to build), but you seem to have figured that out, and that you
must run ldconfig after each module (except the tools) is installed,
which is perfectly reasonable for installing libraries, and you
figured that out also. The install target could run ldconfig, but for
various reasons, not limited to cleanly building on autobuilders for
distributions like Debian (which all needed modules currently do
without any problem), it does not.

As for the install not working, that suprises me quite a bit. There
were problems like this in the early days of Vorbis for a few users,
but with the number of users so much larger now, the building is very
much foolproof, and should have definately worked if you did indeed do
what you say you did (which is, with a few minor cosmetic differences,
the standard build procedure). The only thing I can think of at the
moment, and a definate possibility, is an automake / autoconf bug on
your system, because the build process from CVS relies heavily on
these working correctly. For all those whom you say tried Vorbis and
failed, why didn't they ask for help on the vorbis lists
(vorbis at xiph.org, subscription information from Majordomo at xiph.org or
at http://xiph.org) or IRC (#vorbis on the OpenProjects.net network)?
There are many people out there with experience who can help. There
also prebuilt packages for most common distributions (RPM and Deb),
and the Vorbis libraries are already in the Debian archive and should
be released with the next version and are installable with nothing
more than 'apt-get install vorbis-tools' for the distributed tools
(including oggenc and ogg123) or the libraries will be automatically
installed by programs that depend on them, including parts of KDE.

I'm forwarding this to the Vorbis users list (see top of message) so
that those responsible for the build system can discuss with you to
determine the source of the problem.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>