[vorbis] Multichannel files

Wilson defiler at null.net
Thu Nov 15 05:21:22 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.hetherington at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] Multichannel files

> I think that surround would be great.
>
> Now I'm pretty sure the sound card+ drivers should be encoding the
surround
> signal into one usable by the spaekers, so it shouldn't be a patent issue
for
> ogg. In the same way as you do surround in a game, you should be able to
> position the audio streams when outputting them, without having to support
> AC-3 or anything other than the standard sound interfaces.
>
> I don't really know the technical aspects of writing software to output in
> surround but I know there are some Alsa layers doing surround.

My point is that a 5.1 speaker setup (even on a PC) that doesn't go through
a Dolby Digital decoder before hitting the speakers is a rare thing indeed,
and requires that you have a fairly specific breed of sound card.

They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression.
This was a lie and we could not let them publish it.
-- Nelba Blandon, Nicaraguan Interior Ministry Director of Censorship

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:05, you wrote:
> > There are two ways to decode multi-channel audio. In hardware, or in
> > software.
> > Hardware: A receiver or processor takes a Dolby Digital (for example)
> > stream and converts it into something your amps/speakers are interested
in.
> > Software: Your PC decodes a 5.1 audio stream into six discrete audio
> > streams and passes them to analog output.
> >
> > Sound cards that can handle what is described in the second case are
fairly
> > rare. The Hercules Game Theatre XP, the M-Audio Delta Theatre ($$$),
etc.
> > Most people don't have them. Doing real 5.1 output from the PC without a
> > receiver that locks you into Dolby Digital is either expensive (full
> > pre/pro combo) or rare (analog 5.1 multimedia speakers with LFE
management.
> > Hard to come by.)
> > To play a multi-channel Ogg file through a receiver, the receiver would
> > have to directly support Ogg, and the sound card drivers would have to
> > support pushing the Ogg through Toslink or S/PDIF. An alternative is to
> > transcode the Ogg output on the fly into AC-3 for transport, but then
we're
> > not patent-free anymore.
> >
> > Either there's something I'm missing, or I don't see much of a use for
5.1
> > Oggs.
> >
> > "In the grim future of Hello Kitty there is only war..."
> > http://supremetyrant.com/HK40K.jpg

But
> > > I can't think of any of these as being too friendly to the average
person

> > this
> >
> > > way either.
> > >
> > > 5) It's really easy to add 5.1 support to an Ogg encoder, and it will
be
> > > available widely.
> > >
> > > 6) On the PC writing or extending a player to handle 5.1 audio would
be
> > > pretty easy, if a sound card supports it (e.g. something like an SB
Live
> > > 5.1).
> > >
> > > 7) There was talk earlier of why a PS1/PS2 could or couldn't handle
> > > Vorbis playback as an entertainment device. I've been thinking about
this
> > > a lot lately, and I think this would be excellent. A PS2 player could
be
> > > written that plays Vorbis files. This player could also do real-time
DTS

'vorbis-request at xiph.org'