[vorbis] Multichannel files

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Wed Nov 14 13:33:28 PST 2001

> Show me where I can get a DD or DTS encoder to encode my files.

While people (ie, movie studios) can do DD surround sound themselves, DTS
is so restricted that a movie studio must send raw audio tracks to whoever
made DTS, where they handle all production and send back audio files that
the movie studio sticks on the DVD like they're told.

> that plays Vorbis files. This player could also do real-time DTS or Dolby
> Digital encoding. So if a user plays a 5.1 format Vorbis file, the PS2
> switches into DTS output mode, decodes the Vorbis into 5.1, and then
> re-encodes it into DTS 5.1 and sends it out the optical.

Unless DTS restrictions have been changed since eMedia magazine ran an
extensive comparison of DTS and DD, DTS just *isn't* gonna happen, unless
someone has the guts (and smarts) to reverse engineer another DVD technology.
As I don't own a hi-fi audio system to go with my PS2, I'm not familiar with
the PS2's capabilities regarding outputting DD.  Or perhaps, code could be
written to send raw audio tracks down the optical pipe, bypassing the DTS
requirement.

I'm sure more will become clear when GNU/Linux is available for purchase on
PS2 from Sony ::drool drool::.  Then magic will be made ::-)

Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com