[vorbis] Multichannel files

Mark Hetherington mark.hetherington at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 13:21:31 PST 2001

I think that surround would be great.

Now I'm pretty sure the sound card+ drivers should be encoding the surround
signal into one usable by the spaekers, so it shouldn't be a patent issue for
ogg. In the same way as you do surround in a game, you should be able to
position the audio streams when outputting them, without having to support
AC-3 or anything other than the standard sound interfaces.

I don't really know the technical aspects of writing software to output in
surround but I know there are some Alsa layers doing surround.