[vorbis] Multichannel files

Mercier, Dave dmercier at ea.com
Wed Nov 14 13:33:08 PST 2001

The DTS or DD "transcoding" feature of a PS2 player would of course have to
be licensed. This fee would be included in the PS2 player software you are
buying. This software has to be commercial anyway so I don't see a big deal
here. This is the absolutely only way to say get a PS2 to transport a 5.1
signal to your 5.1 receiver. To the user who bought the software, they would
only see something like "OggEnc" or "OggDrop" as their way of getting 5.1
audio on to a CD for the PS2 player to play. And that software is freely
available without patent issues. So to me there is a use for 5.1 Oggs (how
else would you get highly compressed 5.1 files on to a CD from any 5.1
source material you had, without any patent issues?).

Anyway, regardless of the PS2, without transcoding to a common 5.1 format a
receiver can understand, you are stuck with a mess of 6 analog cables to
sort out, and the possible noise interference they bring with them. I've got
a pretty wicked 5.1 setup, and some of my analog sources get a lot of
interference because of how long my cables are, etc., so I'd rather go
digital.

As well, pretty much all but the cheaper AV receivers have 5.1 analog
inputs. I've had 3 and they all have them.

Thanks,
Dave.