[vorbis] Multichannel files

Mercier, Dave dmercier at ea.com
Wed Nov 14 13:45:40 PST 2001

> Unless DTS restrictions have been changed since eMedia magazine ran an
> extensive comparison of DTS and DD, DTS just *isn't* gonna happen, unless
> someone has the guts (and smarts) to reverse engineer another DVD
technology.
> As I don't own a hi-fi audio system to go with my PS2, I'm not familiar
with
> the PS2's capabilities regarding outputting DD.  Or perhaps, code could be
> written to send raw audio tracks down the optical pipe, bypassing the DTS
> requirement.

I guess restrictions have been changed. Real-time DTS encoding on a PS2 is
being done right now. Look at games like SSX:Tricky and NHL 2002. You can
license this technology from DTS. I authored the DTS Interactive SDK so I
have a bit of a clue as to how this all works. From what I learned with
that, it would be very easy to do very high quality real-time DTS encoding
as well. No reason why Dolby Digital wouldn't work great either, but I think
DTS allows for a bit more quality. I think either DTS or Dolby would
probably be happy to license this to anybody interested.

> I'm sure more will become clear when GNU/Linux is available for purchase
on
> PS2 from Sony ::drool drool::.  Then magic will be made ::-)

I don't know much about the Linux kit for PS2, but I think anything done
there will be useless unless you are a fellow Linux kit user. It's basically
a hobbyist machine. If you make a program on the Linux kit, I don't think
it's going to run on a consumer PS2. Certainly you'd need a way to
manufacture and encrypt your PS2 programs on to a CD/DVD at least, and that
can only be done through Sony with a license. That's really all too bad
because if you could author stuff on that I'd have been there and done it
already. Don't take all my word for that though as I haven't actually
researched it, and that's just my gut feeling.

Thanks,
Dave.