[vorbis] libao and OS X

dongoodman deg3 at msstate.edu
Mon Nov 5 19:33:44 PST 2001

I tried sending this once, but it appears my school is having mail server
issues.

I've been playing with libao on OS X; I wanted to check out the macosx
plugin for it, see if I could bend it to my will. Given some utilities
from the fink project (automake comes to mind) I was able to compile it
just fine. But, there was a problem. It cannot load dynamic plugins!
The first reason I found is that libao expects plugins to have the
extension ".so"; on OS X, dynamic libraries have the extension ".dylib"
Second problem, and one I cannot fix, dlopen() refuses to open the plugins.
  See
the call to dlopen() in _get_plugin() in audio_out.c, line 101 or
thereabouts.

Any ideas what's going on? I have not the knowledge to deal with this.

Also, I'm not currently subscribed to vorbis-dev (though I am to vorbis),
so if any replies could be cc'd: deg3 at msstate.edu, it would be much
appreciated.

thanks in advance

have fun
dongoodman

     |`I invented the term 'object oriented',              pobox 2516|
     |and I can tell you                         mississippi state ms|
     |I did not have C++ in mind.'                              39762|