[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] libao on OS X

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at gatwood.net
Mon Nov 5 19:32:09 PST 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, dongoodman wrote:

> OK, wanted to check out the macosx driver for libao on me new iBook.
> Everything compiles beautifully (given some utils from the fink project,
> like automake), but...
>
> but the dynamic plugin system is broken.
> 1) on OS X, dll's en in .dylib, not .so, as is hardwired in. this should
> be an easy fix.
> 2) dlopen chokes on opening the .dylib files...so the plugin is never
> loaded. i know not enought of dlopen on OS X to be of much help here,
> beyond tracing it to that call
> (in _get_plugin() in audio_out.c)

dlopen() is part of libcompat, which loads .so style shared libraries.
dylib files use a different API.  For more information, check out some
other programs that have been ported to use .dylib files.  I can't think
of any at the moment, but they're out there.  Either that or just use
libcompat and .so shared libs.  It's a lot easier, though using .dylib
files is a good idea long-term.

Later,
David