[vorbis] libao and OS X

captoblivious at mac.com captoblivious at mac.com
Mon Nov 5 19:44:09 PST 2001

ARGH! I hate my school's mail server. Sorry if you've gotten this more
than once.

OK, so the story so far. Wanted to play with libao and the macosx plugin
for it, see if I can bend it to my will, have a nice interface for playing
sound in OS X.
With utilities from fink (such as automake), it compiles just beautiful.
Great.
Problem is, it refuses to load up any of the plugins (in this case the esd
and macosx plugins, either of which would be useful to me).
First problem: libao expects plugins to have the ".so" extension, when
really they have the ".dylib" extension. I made a quick hack to fix this,
to see if that was really the problem...
Sure enough, there's more.
Second problem. For reasons beyond me (because I know not about such
things), dlopen() refuses to open the plugins. In _get_plugin() in
audio_out.c (line 101 or so), dlopen() is called to open the prospective
plugin: in each case, it fails.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Though I am subscribed to the vorbis mailing list, I am not (yet)
subscribed to the vorbis-dev list: if y'all could cc: replies to this addy,
  I would love you forever.

thanks in advance!

have fun
dongoodman

     |`I invented the term 'object oriented',              pobox 2516|
     |and I can tell you                         mississippi state ms|
     |I did not have C++ in mind.'                              39762|