[vorbis] What kind of Ogg Vorbis-services you would like to

Per Wigren wigren at home.se
Thu Nov 8 06:35:39 PST 2001

> * Here is the most innovative idea here:
>
> Have collobarative playlist editing abilities
(conference).  I don't think
> this has ever been done.  Imagine 3 people going on a
picnic.  Each one
> has a portable player.  They connect to their music
collection, decide
> together which songs they want to take with them, divide
them among the
> portables and load them in.  Meeting at the picnic, they
have the music
> they together wanted.  Or just imagine several DJs around
the world
> control together a single radio station...

Well, this is kind of exactly how my "intranet radio"
application works at my office :)
An IceCast2 OGG-stream (160kbps) with an interactive
webinterface...
Everyone can browse or search the ~500 CDs on the server
and click on the songs they want to "wish". Songs with more
wishes get higher scores and will be played earlier than
the ones with lower scores. And when they are played they
are put at the bottom of the list with a lower score
(making sure there are always at least 30 songs in the
playlist).
It works pretty good, but the code is extremly ugly and
inefficient! I'm about to rewrite it and add some more
features soon. For example the possibility for a user to
add his own CDs by uploading 160kbit-OGGs or WAVs to a
samba-share and fill in all needed tags on the web.

Regards
Per Wigren