[vorbis] Adding a --version option to vorbiscomment

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Thu Nov 8 02:45:18 PST 2001

Victoria E. Lease wrote :
> [David Balazic]
> > --version is a standard option that reports the version of the program.
> >
> > ALL programs in the world should support it !
>
> ...all programs that use GNU's getopt(), which supports
> --long-options, perhaps. It is arguable whether all programs in the
> world should use that, though... I can think of many cases in which
> one would want to avoid that, most obvious of which is aversion to
> GPL taint... also, programs with no real commandline interface...
>
> Just a word against sweeping GNU/Linux-centric statements. :)

What I wanted to say was really "ALL programs in the world should support
a simple and easy way to query their version".

The actual implementation is not that important.

I especially like ways when you don't even need to run the program.
That way it also works for non-executable files !

root # what /bin/ls
/bin/ls:
         $Revision: 82.2.1.2 $
         PATCH_11_00: ls.o 99/09/29
root # what /lib/libc.a
/lib/libc.a:
         $ PATCH/11.00:PHCO_22076  Aug 16 2000 16:51:32 $

or

-amiga rewls- > version intuition.library  # ( writing from distant memory :-)
intuition.library V40.35 , 01-oct-1994

--
David Balazic