[vorbis] What kind of Ogg Vorbis-services you would like to

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Nov 8 07:12:40 PST 2001

On 2001-11-08, Per Wigren wrote:

> On 2001-11-08, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> > Have collobarative playlist editing abilities (conference).  I don't
> > think this has ever been done.  Imagine 3 people going on a picnic.
> > Each one has a portable player.  They connect to their music
> > collection, decide together which songs they want to take with them,
> > divide them among the portables and load them in.  Meeting at the
> > picnic, they have the music they together wanted.  Or just imagine
> > several DJs around the world control together a single radio
> > station...
>
> Well, this is kind of exactly how my "intranet radio"
> application works at my office :)
> An IceCast2 OGG-stream (160kbps) with an interactive
> webinterface...
> Everyone can browse or search the ~500 CDs on the server
> and click on the songs they want to "wish". Songs with more
> wishes get higher scores and will be played earlier than
> the ones with lower scores. And when they are played they
> are put at the bottom of the list with a lower score
> (making sure there are always at least 30 songs in the
> playlist).
> It works pretty good, but the code is extremly ugly and
> inefficient! I'm about to rewrite it and add some more
> features soon. For example the possibility for a user to
> add his own CDs by uploading 160kbit-OGGs or WAVs to a
> samba-share and fill in all needed tags on the web.

Nice.  I thought more of an whiteboard-like approach (like in some
conferencing programs, not that I ever used one ;).  Every one has a
playlist editor visible (like in winamp) and any changes he makes are
reflected at the other's playlist editors.  It would be targeted more at
groups of <5 people, for a big group it will probably break.  A big audio
paradise server will have to have lot's of tools for different needs.

Maybe have some playlist cvs :).  More realistically, a smooth transition
between these aproaches is possible.  Some "playlist developers" own a
playlist and can directly manipulate it.  Others can be allowed to join or
not allowed.  But they can split off their own direction of playlist
modification.  Others yet can choose to listen to a merge of different
playlists created using some democratic (or other) policy.

The key point is to allow multiple different playlists to be served at
once.  So making a wish for a song translates into adding your own
modified playlist version as an input to the democratic playlist merger,
where the modification was putting this song at the begginning.  But
people can do other things, like setting up their own blacklist of songs
to exclude and filter a playlist somebody other is creating/controling
through this list (to skip songs they dislike).  Or whatever else one
thinks of.

Add to it a capability to detect that the following next songs on two
playlists are the same although they don't have a close shared ancesor and
make a connection between these people to make them aware of each other -
maybe they would want to merge their work / listen to each other's
playlist / become friends / etc.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)