[vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue May 29 15:47:09 PDT 2001

ndrw mchl grnbrg wrote:
> Joane Lispton <jlispton at hotmail.com> wrote:
> : On a related not, I think I read in the mailing-list archives that the
> : Pentium III wasn't "ideal" for .ogg operations; are AMD's processors more
> : appropriate/do they perform better?
>
> The problem with AMD's processors is that the only company that seems to
> make motherboard chipsets for them is VIA, and they seem to be having
> trouble making a product that is 100% stable. I'm sure that others have
> had better luck than I have, but my experiences with VIA-based system
> boards have not been pleasant ones.

I am extremely happy with my Thunderbird 1GHz. When I bought it in
January it was quite affordable already (especially compared to any
iNTeL cpu) and it's doing its job perfectly fast, no matter whether it's
encoding OGGs, compiling kernels and other stuff. The VIA chipset also
never was a problem ... under Windows, the key to success is the most
current 4in1 chipset driver and under Linux I didn't have sorrows at all
- it worked out-of-the-box.

Moritz