[vorbis] Are AMDs preferable?

Karol Pietrzak noodlez84 at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 17:46:14 PDT 2001

On 29 May 2001, ndrw mchl grnbrg wrote:

> The problem with AMD's processors is that the only company that
> seems to make motherboard chipsets for them is VIA, and they seem
> to be having trouble making a product that is 100% stable. I'm
> sure that others have had better luck than I have, but my
> experiences with VIA-based system boards have not been pleasant
> ones.

i'm sorry, i can't find anything to back that up.  that _was_
the problem about 1.5 years ago, but now the problem seems to
have gone away.  i have kept up with the reviews ever since the
athlon classic, and now all the reviews comparing the
thunderbird to the p4 sway toward the thunderbird.

i have been reading the different posts here and there's one
crucial point that i haven't noticed.  if you are running linux,
you can use AthlonGCC to optimize the code for the athlon
(numbers, anyone?).  afaik, you can't do that in windows.

another point is how much you want to spend: if you are building
a ~$1000US machine, go with a fast duron.  for higher end, it's
a showdown between the p4 and thunderbird.  benchmarks (e.g.
tomshardware.com, sharkyextreme, etc.) are great when comparing
objectively, but consumers don't buy that way.  if you have
~$300US to spend on a chip, anyone (including reviews) will tell
you to get a 1.4ghz thunderbird over a 1.2ghz p4.

--
noodlez:   Karol Pietrzak
GPG/PGP-KeyID: 0x3A1446A0