[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

fungus spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com
Thu May 31 11:44:28 PDT 2001

Wilson wrote:

> Can you point me to a blind listening test that shows a difference between
> 320kbps LAME and the original WAV? I'd be very very very very surprised.
> Individual people can say anything they like.. "I wrapped tinfoil around my
> power cables and now there's so much more "depth" to the music!", but only a
> blind listening test can really sort this kind of thing out from sheer
> fantasy.

I've never believed people who claim they can tell which
way round the speaker cables are connected, or any of a
lot of other claims made by the "golden ears".

I can hear the difference between "normal" mp3 rates
and the original .wav so I imagine there must still
be a difference at higher bitrates. A good concerto
(a piano should be good for this) will probably bring
them out much more than Britney Spears.

Keeping this on-topic*, is there a doc which gives
a quick overview of how the Vorbis encoding works.
Is the sound stored in the file in the frequency
domain? If it is, can I get at the frequency
information to do a spectrum analyser without
having to do FFTs on the reconstructed waveform?

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

* For the person who accused me of "spamming", I'd
just like to point out that there's a real BIIIIG
difference between spamming and off-topic posting.