[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

Erik Stenborg d99papa at dtek.chalmers.se
Thu May 31 13:38:27 PDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, fungus wrote:

[snip]

> Keeping this on-topic*, is there a doc which gives
> a quick overview of how the Vorbis encoding works.

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this but... you can find Vorbis
Illuminated here: http://www.mathdogs.com/vorbis-illuminated/
It has given me some insight in vorbis.

> Is the sound stored in the file in the frequency
> domain? If it is, can I get at the frequency
> information to do a spectrum analyser without
> having to do FFTs on the reconstructed waveform?

You could probably get a set of MDCT coefficiants per block if you skip
the last steps in the decoding process. That might be enough for your
purposes.

> * For the person who accused me of "spamming", I'd
> just like to point out that there's a real BIIIIG
> difference between spamming and off-topic posting.

Yes. And I appologize if I offended you.
btw, nice email address ;-)

cheers
/Erik