[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

Jernej Simonèiè jernej.simoncic at guest.arnes.si
Thu May 31 14:46:44 PDT 2001

Hello Karol,

31. maj 2001, 21:46:43, you wrote:

> On 31 May 2001, Wilson wrote:

>> I definitely agree with this. CD audio in general sounds like
>> crap. DVD-Audio/SACD is a big step in the right direction.

> out of curiousity, what are the technical specs of dvd-
> audio/sacd (i.e. how many khz, how many bits)?  anyone know?  is
> there any lossy / non-lossy, free / non-free that can handle
> that right now?

DVD-A:
      sampling rate(kHz)  bit resolution  channels
LPCM                 192        16,20,24         2
                   176.4            "            2
<                     96            "          1-6 >
                    88.2            "           "
                      48            "           "
                    44.1            "           "
MLP                   96            "           "  (lossless compression)
Dolby Digital         48            "           "
DTS                48/96            "           "

SACD:
DSD           2.8224 MHz            1            ?
(direct stream digital)
They claim that frequency span is 0 to 100 kHz, and that dynamics in
hearing part is 120dB...

Jernej Simoncic, jernej.simoncic at guest.arnes.si
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/
ICQ: 26266467