[vorbis] sound quality / size

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Mar 19 22:58:00 PST 2001

At 09:50 PM 3/19/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Greatly concerned for size, i just ripped an audio cd @ 22050kHz
>and mono sound.  Encoding using 'oggenc -b 1 -', the resulting
>Ogg file is around 30kb/s.  During the encoding process i was
>"warned" that the encoder is tuned toward 44.1kHz and encoding
>files in any other may result in degraded quality.  How worried
>should I be?  Is the advantage in size lost due to crappy
>quality (versus 44.1kHz mono files)?

Listen to the file. If the quality is sufficient for you, then
be happy. If not, then I guess you should be worried :)
Obviously, you're saving a lot in bitrate by doing this, but
you have a corresponding loss in quality - the question is
whether (for you/your purposes) that loss is acceptable.

Michael