[vorbis] sound quality / size

Karol Pietrzak noodlez84 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 19 18:50:30 PST 2001

Greatly concerned for size, i just ripped an audio cd @ 22050kHz
and mono sound.  Encoding using 'oggenc -b 1 -', the resulting
Ogg file is around 30kb/s.  During the encoding process i was
"warned" that the encoder is tuned toward 44.1kHz and encoding
files in any other may result in degraded quality.  How worried
should I be?  Is the advantage in size lost due to crappy
quality (versus 44.1kHz mono files)?

comment: twinhq 96kb/s and oggvorbis beta4 ~100kb/s are
virtually identical.  however, once twinhq is dropped down to
80kb/s, all hell breaks loss and they sound shot-to-shit.  they
hardly compare to 50kb/s OggVorbis files.  I used the latest
version of the twinhq encoder (as of last week).

--
noodlez:   Karol Pietrzak
GPG/PGP-KeyID: 0x3A1446A0