[vorbis] Comment field spec needs to be expanded and tightened

Patrik Wallstrom pawal at blipp.com
Sun Mar 4 02:45:53 PST 2001

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, David Wheeler wrote:

> First, the misleading names.
> Change "ORGANIZATION" to "PUBLISHER"; many other organizations
> may be involved, and not all publishers are organizations.
> Note that MP3's related spec already calls this value "publisher".  I suggest
> changing "DATE" to "RECORDING_DATE" and "LOCATION" to "RECORDING_LOCATION";
> there are many other potential dates and locations someone might store.

Maybe also a RELEASE_DATE for when the recording was first released?

[...]
> * for people:
[...]
> ARRANGER
>  Arranger of the music (if different than composer).

Isn't this also called ADAPTOR in certain places?

> ACCOMPANIMENT
>  The band, orchestra, or other accompaniment (may be a group), e.g.,
>  "E Street Band".
>
> ACCOMPANIMENT_ARTIST
>  The name of an accompanist, may include parenthetically the
>  instruments/vocal roles played.
>  E.G., "Iman Example (Bass Guitar, Fiddle, Alto)".
[...]

Maybe also adding a FEATURING field, for those artists that are featured
in a recording. Just semantics, interesting anyway.

In addition to the ISRC, is there any interest in ISWC (International
Standard Work Code)?

http://www.mpa.org/press/Press2_8.html

--
 patrik wallstrom     |      f o o d f i g h t
 tel: +46-8-6188428   |      s t o c k h o l m