[vorbis] Comment field spec needs to be expanded and tightened

David K. Gasaway dgasaway at bigvalley.net
Sun Mar 4 18:42:41 PST 2001

> There's also a "Lyrics3" format defined for MP3 - the major
> interesting factor here is that every lyric line is preceeded by the
> time(s) it occurs, in parentheses.  This doesn't handle live work very
> well, but it looks okay in many circumstances for prerecorded songs.
> Here's an example from ID3v2.  Note the odd way it handles information
> like "Chorus".  Perhaps this could be stored in a "LYRICS3" field:
>
> [00:02]Let's talk about time[CR][LF]
> [01:25][05:45]Time is tickin' away[CR][LF]

Two comments here.
1) One-second resolution is not sufficient.
2) I don't like the idea of multiple time tags on any one line.  KISS,
force the user to duplicate the text.  Cut & paste is just not so
difficult or wasteful that we should avoid it, IMO.

BTW, I have a Winamp plugin that can display lyrics synch'ed to a
OGG file.  Of course, the text is in a file separate from the OGG,
but I generally prefer it this way - otherwise, I have a habit of losing
the lyrics because I re-encoded the song. :(

-----
David K. Gasaway
dgasaway at comports.com
http://dkg.home.dhs.org