[vorbis] mono files don't compress well

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Mar 28 19:04:31 PST 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 06:47:13PM -0800, Phil Burk wrote:

> But when I compress a mono file using OGGDROP

OggDrop does [roughly] 128kbps, stereo or mono; that means the output
rate is the same regardless of input.  The drawbacks of a maximally
simple tool.

> or OGGENC Beta4, I can
> only get compression ratios of about 3:1.

If you're compressing mono, tell it the mono bitrate you want, not the
equivalent stereo rate.  The tool is doing what you tell it to, not
what you think it should be doing in this case :-)

Monty