[vorbis] mono files don't compress well

Phil Burk philburk at softsynth.com
Wed Mar 28 18:47:13 PST 2001

I am considering using OGG for sending mono files across the net. OGG
sounds great and I like the philosophy.

But when I compress a mono file using OGGDROP or OGGENC Beta4, I can
only get compression ratios of about 3:1. If I take the original mono
file and convert it to stereo, then encode it, I can get a compression
ratio of about 10:1. So the final encoded file for stereo is actually
smaller than the one for mono!  I am encoding short voice and music
files that are only a few seconds long at 128kbps.

Has anyone else seen this odd behavior?

Can I get good compression ratios for mono files using the OGG SDK?

Thanks,

--
Phil Burk
http://www.softsynth.com