[vorbis] Experimental info editor for winamp

Matthew James Brown mbrown at hotteam.org
Tue Mar 6 12:25:33 PST 2001

> > * Could just put the details in a regular grey
> >   background rather than a white listview?
>
> I disagree strongly. The listview is appropriate, since you can reorder
the
> list and the set of fields provided will vary between files. There are
> numerous examples of this kind of UI in Windows itself, all of which use a
> list view or tree view.

I was only thinking about changing the color.  I guess I need to take a poll
or something.  Personally I like white but you know how everything is
relative.

> > * Use regular capitalisation on the fields.
>
> The only capitalization inconsistency I noticed was "File name", which
ought
> to be either "Filename" or "File Name". I prefer "Filename" myself.
Another
> alternative would be to have no "Filename" label, get rid of the text
> control's border, and make it as wide as the "Comment Editor" group box.
>
> > * Include average bitrate.
>
> Yes, as a non-editable field (obviously). Any other stats that can be
> supplied would be nice. I like the details that Winamp's MP3 comment
editor
> shows -- things like the file's size on disk, its duration, sample rate,
bit
> rate, and whether it is joint stereo, m/s stereo, mono, or whatever.

Warren is working on this and it will probably end up in the next release a
week or so from now.  I think he actually has more going than just this.

> Another thing: I noticed that the VCE plugin's dialog is non-modal,
whereas
> the Winamp MP3 comment editor is modal. This means you can have several
open
> simultaneously, and you can still interact with Winamp's main window. This
> is a neat feature if it can be made to work properly, but right now it
> behaves rather strangely. I find that if I open a playlist of .ogg files,
> then open the comment editor for one track (A), then open a second comment
> editor window for another track (B), then close the B editor, then close
the
> A editor, the editor for B will pop up again all by itself. I have not
> looked at (or even downloaded) the plugin code, but I would guess that it
> doesn't really support multiple simultaneous dialogs, and gets confused.

Yeah Warren said this might happen.  Like I said though this is just a test.
I'm working on fixing some of these things.  Warren is also changing the
code so things like this will go away soon.  Thanks for the detailed bug
report.  That helps a lot.  Things like this which I didn't test is the
reason that I prereleased this so that I could find out about this behavior.

Note to everyone:  If you have comments and bugs, etc please e-mail me at
mbrown at hotteam.org .  The new plugin doesn't really quite concern the whole
list right now.  It will once it's in the mainline CVS but right now it's
just a prerelease and I'm sure that the core developers doen't want to busy
up the list with a lot of other traffic.

Thanks so much again,

Matt