[vorbis] Experimental info editor for winamp

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 09:13:54 PST 2001

Mat Bettinson wrote:

> Some suggestions
>
> * Could just put the details in a regular grey
>   background rather than a white listview?

I disagree strongly. The listview is appropriate, since you can reorder the
list and the set of fields provided will vary between files. There are
numerous examples of this kind of UI in Windows itself, all of which use a
list view or tree view.

> * Use regular capitalisation on the fields.

The only capitalization inconsistency I noticed was "File name", which ought
to be either "Filename" or "File Name". I prefer "Filename" myself. Another
alternative would be to have no "Filename" label, get rid of the text
control's border, and make it as wide as the "Comment Editor" group box.

> * Include average bitrate.

Yes, as a non-editable field (obviously). Any other stats that can be
supplied would be nice. I like the details that Winamp's MP3 comment editor
shows -- things like the file's size on disk, its duration, sample rate, bit
rate, and whether it is joint stereo, m/s stereo, mono, or whatever.

Another thing: I noticed that the VCE plugin's dialog is non-modal, whereas
the Winamp MP3 comment editor is modal. This means you can have several open
simultaneously, and you can still interact with Winamp's main window. This
is a neat feature if it can be made to work properly, but right now it
behaves rather strangely. I find that if I open a playlist of .ogg files,
then open the comment editor for one track (A), then open a second comment
editor window for another track (B), then close the B editor, then close the
A editor, the editor for B will pop up again all by itself. I have not
looked at (or even downloaded) the plugin code, but I would guess that it
doesn't really support multiple simultaneous dialogs, and gets confused.

Craig