[vorbis] "vorbiscomment"

Robert Woodcock rcw at debian.org
Mon Jun 18 08:05:27 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 04:08:40PM -0400, Kenneth Arnold wrote:
> abcde has a stage-based mechanism -- rip, cddb, encode, tag, move or
> something like that, IIRC. This works decently well for the MP3 tools,
> where adding an appropriate ID3 tag as an afterthought is very common
> (so encoders don't really have to care about tagging), but for things
> like the Vorbis tools, which can do all the tagging at once (and even
> most of the work for the "move" stage), it kind of throws off the
> little shell script.

This behavior is intentional, and very handy. For example if a disc
isn't identified by a CDDB server, you can encode it, give it back
to your friend, then when you're feeling less lazy, enter the track
info, comment all of the tracks, and generate the playlist.

Abcde 1.x let the encoding utilities do the moving. I won't go back
to that.

Robert Woodcock - rcw at debian.org
"Hacking... is a completely creepy thing to do." -- US Department Of Justice